12.07.2008

Just one more resume.....

While spending the weekend at our palatial country estate, my Trusty Sidekick and I happened upon a local TV broadcast where employment experts were offering advice on landing a job in today’s environment. A few points stuck in my mind, and I wanted to share them.

First, you must be extra aggressive and dogged in your current job search. If you’ve sent 50 resumes before landing an assignment in the past, you may have to send 150 resumes this cycle before receiving that offer. Call to ensure your resume was received. Do not assume that the only jobs available are the ones being advertised. And network, network, NETWORK!

Next, search your mind for how the skills you possess and the experiences you’ve accrued can be utilized differently from the way you’ve used them in the past. How can those business and technical skills you’ve used in the Financial Services industry translate into manufacturing or healthcare?

And (as has been stated before right here in these volumes) it’s important that your resume and application be truthful, no matter how tempting it is to overstate your proficiencies in order to impress a hiring manager. The penalties imposed if the embellishments are discovered could far outweigh any advancement the assignment would have brought.

Remember, keep plugging away, don't give up. As Louis Pasteur said: “Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity.”

No comments: